So this weekend I tackled what I thought would be a very easy DIY. I was wrong. I added a privacy liner to bamboo roman shades. While it was not terribly technical, on the Exquisitely Unremarkable scale, it was more time consuming than I thought it would be. I like quick projects. Of course, in the end, it worked out perfectly.
The room is dark and private.
I'm just exhausted.
A few weeks ago, my daughter decided that her pink room was no longer in vogue and we have been working on the update ever since. She has opted for a neutral, earthly boho look, which includes these really cool, espresso colored bamboo matchstick blinds. They are super pretty...
It was like having a piece of gauze covering the window. We could see right though them, especially at night, when it was dark outside and light in the room. Yes, we actually went outside and checked. It was not the optimal covering for a teenage girl's bedroom, or frankly, anyone's bedroom.
No big deal. The salesman said that the sell liners. Turns out, they do. They are about $25 each, they are white and also see through. Ugh. Not going to work.
"But mom, I love these! I am not returning them. Can't you please fix them? You can. I know you can."
"Yes. I can. I'll figure it out."
Because that's what moms do, right?
So I hit the internet and found a DIY that I thought I could use as a guide. Of course, my blinds are little bit different and required a few extra steps, but I figured it out. It just took me a while.
On a Sunday afternoon.
With the pool calling.
First, I placed my blind on the table.
My brand had strings that were threaded through a decorative covering and then laced onto a metal loop.
I had to untie the string and then remove the pretty covering. Then I grabbed my fabric and cut it to fit the blind. I left about a half inch all the way around to maintain a bit of that wispy look my daughter liked so much.
Next, I used a hot glue gun to secure the fabric to the top of the blind and poked a hole in the fabric to lace the string through.
I repeated the process on the other side.
To get the rings through the fabric, I cut super tiny slits in the material and pulled them through.
With the string and rings in place, I picked up my glue gun again and glued the fabric down. This time I went all the way around the blind, sides and bottom.
Lastly, I used a safety pin to rethread the string through its lacy cover and connected it to the rings again.
When I was done, an hour later, ugh, my finished product looked pretty similar to the way it started, except for the fabric liner that I added underneath the existing hardware.
Then I got to do the other blind. That one actually went much quicker.
My total cost was $7.00 for the fabric.
The blinds work exactly the same now ~ pull the string and they go up and down without a wrinkle. I tried to get an after shot, but the room was so dark with the addition of the liners, that there was no way.
So I leave you with a peek behind the scenes. This is the blind now. It's neat, finished and looks as if it was purchased this way.
It is what the people outside can see.
It is all they can see.
And that makes this mama very happy...and this tedious DIY very worth it!
Sign up for email and follow the fun.
Tips, tricks, crafts and giggles delivered straight to you!